Friday, October 19, 2007

Day 17 The day of Flats and a Gift

Picks were picked randomly out of the past couple of days. Would have done more but Library kicked me out. Took forever to load these.
Baby Redwood

Adult Redwood next to baby.


Yesterday in the rain.


Back in Lincoln City


Oh my goodness! What a day! It was the prettiest day yet (with the exception of a quick shower I dodged while taking a snack break under a thickly branched tree). I rode 70 miles from Eureka, Ca to Garberville, CA. I got to see some more of the Redwoods, some of the really bike ones, with streams of sunshine streaming through. Oh what and awesome sight! It was still wet and chilly in there though.

The route took me on some really rough back roads as well. I come to be wary of any road that has hill or mtn in it's name. One of the roads I rode today had the word hill in it but I think it should have been called Tompkins MOUNTAIN rd. It took 5 miles of pedaling at some thing between 6-10% grade to get to the top! The view was incredible at the top! I was several miles inland on the road but I could see past all the farms down to the ocean. Then of course, the crazy fast, curvy, fun down hill. That was the fun stuff.

I'm thankful it didn't rain today more than it did. Today was the day that my tires gave out. Total of six flats today and one of them blew out my tire and I had to put on my spare tire. I've had too other in the past week so I knew this was coming. I usually get 1200-1500 miles out of a set of tires but these only made it about 800 miles. Riding in sooo much rain made my tires pick up tons of glass and work into the rubber. Thankfully there was a bike shop in the town I finished in.
I picked up some new tires and tubes to get me down to Monterey Where I'll have good tires waiting on me along with my regular bike shoes. I'll tell you about bikes shoes another day.

Now, to finish the day off I found I had a message waiting for me on my cell. It was Craig,one of my bosses from AJAX, the Carbondale bike shop. He was wishing me happy birthday and also letting me know someone came in and gave him a large sum of money for me to put towards my trip. They didn't want him to tell me who they were. That was soooooo cool! Because of the weather I've been dealing with my expenses have sky rocketed. This helps a ton! Thank you!

Lesson for the day...Think positive and positive things will happen even when things are seemingly not going your way. I made it to town before the bike shop closed and then some one out there in cyber land helps me out. Pass it on! Again thanks!

No comments: